Turkey and Potato Casserole
Prep: 45 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
5 medium golden potatoes
1 tbsp oil
1 shallot, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1-1½ lb. fresh ground turkey
½ tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tbsp dry yellow mustard ground
¼ cup sherry vinegar
2 tbsp butter, unsalted
2 tbsp flour
1½ cup milk
1 tbsp sherry vinegar
1 can cream of mushroom or
¼ lb. cheddar, diced or shredded
½ cup Panko
¼ lb. Parrano, grated
1) Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Clean and slice the potatoes. Boil the sliced potatoes 10 minutes. Strain and let sit.
2) Preheat oven to 350◦. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add oil, onions, garlic and sautee for two minutes, stirring frequently. Add ground turkey, mix and cook for two minutes.
3) Stir in crushed red pepper flakes, dry yellow mustard and the ¼ cup sherry vinegar. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes. Set aside (do not drain).
4) In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter. Using a whisk, stir in flour until well combined and cook, whisking constantly for two minutes. Whisk in milk, increase heat to medium, and continue whisking as sauce thicken. Do not allow sauce to boil.
5) Add 1 tbsp sherry vinegar and cream soup, stir and when warm add cheddar. Continue cooking and stirring until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth. Add more milk for a thinner sauce.
6) In a greased casserole dish layer potatoes, then ground turkey, sauce and Parrano. Make at least 3 layers. Sprinkle Panko on top and bake 30 minutes until hot and bubbly.